Monday, May 14, 2007

The Library Has A Face

If I have learned one thing during 30 years of library work, it is that libraries - regardless of the type - are not well understood by people. They are prone to being stereotyped (as are the people who work within) but so are I suppose just about every other occupation and institution. (Think about lawyer and politician jokes!) Libraries have earned some of that stereotyping but much of it is unfounded and the result of a lack of libraries putting forward a human face. The depth and complexity of library users and uses is rarely communicated by librarians and that is what I hope to do with this blog going forward.

I also hope to reflect the rich conversation that I am privileged to have regularly with the citizens from all walks of life . If nothing else, people have strong opinions about the Portland Public Library system and they aren't shy about telling me. That is a good thing and it calls for contemplation and comment by me.

I am looking foward to it!

No comments: